Wednesday, May 9, 2012

THE SPINNING DRESS


I've got a little project for Fashion Dissemination at uni that requires us to present a series of 10 images or a short 30 second video of our design ethos. My next collection is currently in the process of coming together, and I wanted to keep it a surprise until it is finished. So I looked into my past projects for resources and inspirations. Since most of my past imageries are already up on this blog, I decided to go out of my comfort zone and make a short video (really way out of my comfort zone, I like things still in general...) I found the folder of photos I took for the A Study of Perception (2011) poster. As I hung the cube dress' various cubes and corners up I recorded the different stages of the dresses. It is like a documentation of its transformation from something ordinary into something amazing. It actually captures my design ethos quite well - I don't think things have to be loud at first sight. It is no fun to give away everything at the first time. I much prefer to create things, objects, garments that are beautifully subtle, a little understated at first sight, but as it draws you closer, you then discover its amazing sophistication, character and intelligence in design.

and here are a few images from other artists and designers which also reflects and sums up my design ethos: a simple idea executed with intelligence, sophistication and elegance